American resort owner faces deportation for working sans permit

MANILA — An American beach resort owner in Boracay will undergo deportation proceedings after he was arrested last week for working without permit, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said on Monday.

Armed with a mission order issued by BI Commissioner Jaime Morente, Randall Lee Parker, 52, was caught on April 25 by BI intelligence operatives inside The Artienda, formerly known as Crown Beach Hotel located at Station Two, in Boracay, Malay, Aklan.

“He will undergo deportation proceedings for illegally working in the country,” Morente said in a statement.

The order was issued after a complaint was filed with the bureau about the American’s business activities in the island without the appropriate work permit or visa.

He noted that both the Labor Code and the Immigration Act strictly forbids aliens from engaging in gainful activity unless they obtain a work permit from the Labor Department and employment visa from the BI.

The BI chief said Parker has been in the Philippines as a tourist for almost two years already and blatantly violated the conditions of his stay as a temporary visitor after engaging in gainful work.

Meanwhile, BI spokesperson Antonette Mangrobang reported that travel records showed that the American arrived in the country on April 16, 2016 and has not departed ever since.

She added that the foreigner’s stay as a tourist was extended up to June 14 this year, and that he has been going in and out of the country since 2005.

Mangrobang said existing laws that regulate the employment of aliens in the country are intended to ensure that their activities in the country are consistent with their immigration documentation.

“The rule is that aliens holding tourist visas are not allowed to engage in any form of gainful employment or business activity,” the BI official added. (PNA)

Popular

ICC rejects Duterte appeal for interim release

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The International Criminal Court (ICC) Appeals Chamber has denied former President Rodrigo Duterte’s appeal to overturn...

PH seeking Malaysia, Singapore help in locating Zaldy Co’s air assets —PBBM

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has directed the Department of Transportation (DOTr) and the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) to...

‘Handog ng Pangulo’: PBBM brings aid, gov’t services to IPs in Zamboanga City

By Brian Campued “Nandito kami.” In line with the administration’s broader effort to ensure that no community is left behind in the “Bagong Pilipinas,” President Ferdinand...

PBBM lauds new San Lazaro Residences in Manila City

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Thursday commended the Manila City government for its in-city vertical housing project that will benefit healthcare...