Andanar eyes closer ties with more media groups

MANILA — After building closer cooperation with national media groups, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Martin Andanar has set his sights on meeting with local media organizations in the different regions of the country.

“I’m in my third phase of my work, which is now to strengthen relations with press corps or organizations nationwide,” Andanar said in his remark during the Philippine Information Agency (PIA) executive committee conference, which was held at the Jen Hotel here Friday.

“It’s my personal advocacy — because I am a mediaman — to help our press corps, like for example the National Press Club. I’ve been helping them out. So I’m done here in Metro Manila,” he added.

With this, Andanar asked the regional directors of PIA, an attached agency of PCOO, to help him get in touch with different press corps in the regions.

“I want you to serve as a bridge to extend whatever assistance I can personally give to our press corps and other assistance from whoever wants to help,” he said.

He explained that strengthening cooperation with different media groups is also part of the institutional reforms he wanted to build under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.

In October 2016, Duterte dedicated his first Administrative Order to the creation of the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS) as the government’s commitment to protect media members against harassment and violence. The task force is headed by former media practitioner, Undersecretary Joel Sy Egco.

Andanar said meeting with various media groups is also an opportunity to disseminate information about government programs and policies, including federalism.

The PCOO, together with the Department of the Interior and Local Government, has been designated to lead other agencies in charge of raising public awareness on the proposed federal charter prepared by the Consultative Committee (ConCom).

Andanar took the opportunity to thank and commend the PIA and its officials, headed by Director General Harold Clavite, for a job well done in fulfilling its mandate of information dissemination.

“I have seen your hard work and dedication so I don’t need to remind you. But I’d like to thank you and on behalf of the President, would like to congratulate your job and how you do it very, very well,” he said.

The communication chief promised to continue his work while awaiting the issuance of an executive order that will revert the PCOO to the Office of the Press Secretary.

“As of now, I’m still here. Whatever the President asks me to do, we will just do our work. That’s how it should be. Nothing is permanent in this position, especially if you are appointed. So while I’m here, I will just continue to do my work and continue to dedicate my working hours to the PCOO family,” Andanar said. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...