Andaya wants to re-examine 2019 national budget

By Filane Mikee Cervantes/PNA

MANILA – House Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr. on Monday said there is a need re-examine the 2019 national budget due to the country’s fiscal deficit.

In a statement, Andaya said the government disbursements continue to outpace the increase in revenues, noting that the government may fail to meet its deficit ceiling for the year even as both revenues and spending are growing beyond their respective targets.

Andaya cited Department of Budget and Management (DBM) Secretary Benjamin Diokno, who said the 2018 fiscal deficit may fall behind the PHP523.7 billion target, which is equivalent to 3 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP). Fiscal deficit was only 2.2 percent of the GDP last year.

“Given this development, it is time we realize that the proposed 2019 national budget prepared by DBM is out of touch with reality. We may have to re-examine the 2019 budget closely during the conference committee with the Senate,” Andaya said.

“We are walking on tightrope and we need a really good balancing act. The DBCC (Development Budget and Coordination Committee) insists on a smaller contractionary spending program, yet the government needs to spend more just to catch up with inflation,” he added.

Andaya lauded President Rodrigo Duterte for signing the joint resolution extending the life of the 2018 budget for another year to give more spending room for social programs

“Extending the life of the 2018 budget for next year means foregoing the DBM proposal of having only one expenditure program for 2019. In effect, we will now have two sources of spending for Fiscal Year 2019: the 2019 budget and the savings of 2018, which could reach to about PHP200 billion,” Andaya said.

“No matter how you spin it, the people on the ground are already feeling the economic pinch and an unresponsive economic plan can lead to people’s unrest,” he added.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...