Antique airport prepares for PAL maiden flight

By Annabel Consuelo Petinglay/PNA

The Evelio B. Javier Airport in Antique is readying for the maiden flight of the Philippine Airlines on December 16, 2018. (Photo by Annabel Petinglay)

SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique — Preparations for the maiden flight of Philippine Airlines (PAL) on December 16 at the Evelio B. Javier (EBJ) Airport here is almost complete.

The airport stopped commercial operations for several years and was used only by private planes until the government decided to reopen it.

Jose P. Fajunio, Civil Aviation Authority for the Philippines (CAAP) acting manager of the EBJ, said the historic flight of PAL between Clark and Antique will initially start with two flights a week but will eventually depend on the increase in number of passengers.

“PAL might consider increasing the twice a week flight from Clark to Antique and vice versa if there would be enough passengers,” Fajunio said.

“We are just finishing the canopy being asked by PAL for the passenger terminal and the runway markings,” he said.

“We will really ensure that by December 16 we are 100 percent ready for the flight,” he said.

He added that CAAP air traffic controllers and personnel for the airways navigation service have arrived for the maiden flight.

“There are also nine firefighters with their firetruck at the airport now,” he said.

He added that the remaining obstructive tree that was subjected for pruning has been cut down already. “Tall trees pose as hazards to the aircraft,” he said.

He said the runway at the airport was extended from 1.2 kilometers to 1.3 kilometers.

“With the runway expansion, it now meets the requirement of PAL,” he said.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...