Antique to extend educational support to 6.5K students

SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique — Antique’s provincial government, through the Provincial Youth Development Office, is targeting some 6,500 undergraduate and graduate students for its educational assistance program.

“There is an allocation of PHP50 million for the educational assistance this 2018,” Rexon C. Nodque, officer in-charge of the Provincial Youth Development Office, said Thursday.

Nodque said undergraduate students could apply for educational assistance until July 31.

“The provincial government is giving PHP5,000 per scholar per semester as assistance,” he said, adding that the office hopes to release the assistance for the first semester by September.

Nodque noted that more than 4,000 undergraduate students availed of the program last year.

“This school year, we are targeting 6,000 students to avail of the assistance,” he said.

Meanwhile, graduate students who would like to avail of the assistance may come to the Antique Youth Development Office to apply from August 1 to August 15.

“Last year, there were 350 graduate school students who availed of the assistance,” Nodque said, adding that this year, they are eyeing 500 to 600 graduate school students, preferably those pursuing a master’s degree or a doctorate in education and public administration.

Graduate students receive PHP6,000 per semester.

The assistance for graduate students was implemented because Governor Rhodora J. Cadiao wanted to encourage more of her constituents to pursue higher education, aligned with her administration’s thrust on human development.

They may opt to enroll here in Antique or outside of the province, just like the undergraduate students. (Annabel Consuelo Petinglay/PNA)

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...