Antique vet eyes 10 vaccinators for anti-rabies drive

By Annabel Consuelo Petinglay/PNA

SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique — Antique’s Provincial Veterinary (Pro-Vet) Office intends to hire an additional 10 vaccinators to help them effectively carry out their anti-rabies campaign.

“As of now we only have six job order vaccinators,” Antique ProVet Chief, Dr. Romeo Magdato, said in an interview Monday, noting that the vaccinators are essential so they could augment personnel hired by the municipality.

“There are towns that have only one vaccinator while the other towns have none. So our job order vaccinators will help them in their massive campaign,” he said.

Magdato said they have a budget of PHP404,650 for the vaccinators’ salary following the approval of the province’s annual budget last February 7.

“Even if the vaccinators will just be hired for three months, that would already be a big help,” he said.

Magdato said the province really needs to conduct a massive vaccination of dogs because of the three human rabies death recorded in 2018. Of the three deaths, one was from San Jose de Buenavista and two from Laua-an town.

“Our situation is alarming because of the casualties,” he said.

He said he is still waiting for the Department of Agriculture – Bureau of Animal Industry (DA-BAI) anti-rabies vaccines, which last year sent 4,000 vials good for the vaccination of 70 percent of the dog population or 53,719 dogs.

Antique has a total dog population of 76,741.

“I am also requesting for additional vials of vaccines from the DA-BAI because of our alarming situation,” he said.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...