Appointment of new Comelec commissioners ‘critically needed’

MANILA — The speedy appointment of new Commission on Elections (Comelec) commissioners is critically needed, a senator said Friday noting that it could not lose time as barangay (village) and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections are set this May.

“It is only through a complete and functioning election body that the rigorous demands of its preparations can be eased,” Senator Sherwin Gatchalian said in a press statement.

Gatchalian’s call came after Comelec senior commissioners Christian Robert Lim and Arthur Lim retired.

President Rodrigo Duterte needs to appoint three new Commissioners to complete the seven-man election body.

He said the appointment of new Comelec executives would ensure undisrupted preparations for the upcoming elections.

Expertise in software tech

Gatchalian urged President Rodrigo Duterte to consider aspirants having an expertise in managing systems or software technologies.

At present, Gatchalian said the current automation process is being “clouded with questions of integrity and accuracy” which should be prevented in the succeeding polls.

“They should all maintain a good working environment and act in healthy accord with their fellow commissioners to ensure all reform initiatives take a singular direction,” Gatchalian said.

At present, the collegial body has four active members, namely: Sheriff Abas, Rowena Guanzon, Luie Tito Guia, and acting chair Al Parreño.

Abas was appointed Comelec Chairman in November to replace Andres Bautista and was re-appointed on January 16 after the Commission on Appointments failed to act on his nomination last year. (Azer Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...