Army condemns NPA attacks vs. relief troops

TACLOBAN CITY — Top military officials condemned the attack of New People’s Army (NPA) terrorists against soldiers delivering food relief to families affected by Tropical Storm “Urduja” in Catubig, Northern Samar, calling it cowardly and inhuman.

“It is unfortunate and sad that our soldiers were fired upon by terrorist NPAs while serving the people,” said Col. George Domingo, commander of the Army’s 20th Infantry Battalion based in Catubig in a message sent to Philippine News Agency Sunday night.

“This activity is a clear violation of the International Humanitarian Law and we call upon the people to act against these atrocities,” he added.

Pfc. Roland Gomez suffered a bullet wound in the buttocks while Corporal Yzazel Laure was hit in the belly when rebels attacked them, triggering an hour-long firefight Sunday afternoon in Hinagonoyan village, Catubig town.

Maj. Gen. Raul Farnacio, commander of the Army’s 8th Infantry Division (8ID), also condemned the attack against soldiers.

“This recent attack on our soldiers who are responding to the needs of the communities affected by the typhoon is another testament that the NPAs have no regards on the welfare of the people who are already suffering from a disaster,” Farnacio said.

“The 8ID will remain steadfast in helping communities in times of calamities despite the atrocities inflicted by the terrorist NPAs,” he added.

A total of 7,500 families or 28,900 individuals from 47 villages of Catubig town were displaced by widespread flooding after the tropical storm dumped heavy rains for three days last week.

The local government has placed Catubig town under a state of calamity. The third-class municipality with a population of more than 33,000 is about 305 kilometers north of Tacloban, the regional capital. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...