Army to probe woman’s death in Maguindanao assault vs. BIFF

CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao – The Army’s 6th Infantry Division (6ID) has sent emissaries to the family of a woman reportedly killed during mortar shelling against the IS-linked Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters in Maguindanao.

Capt. Arvin John Encinas, speaking for the 6ID, said Brigadier General Cirilito Sobejana, 6ID commander, said they have also extended financial support to the family of Naano Mangintas, who died when a mortar round landed near her while tending the rice field in Barangay Idtig, Gen. Salipada K. Pendatun, Maguindanao. “

We are still investigating who was responsible, (and ) if found guilty, those behind the incident would be meted punishment,” Encinas said.

Mangintas was attending to her rice field last June 16 when the mortar landed near her, witnesses said. Her companion, a boy, named Nene Mohammad, was also injured and is now recuperating in a hospital.

Sobejana said he has ordered an investigation into the incident and assured that they will release the findings as soon as available.

Only recently, government forces, backed by air support, launched offensives against the group of BIFF sub-leader Abu Toraife deep inside the 220,000–hectare Liguasan Marsh in Maguindanao.

The air and ground strikes left 15 BIFF members dead, including alleged five Indonesians and a Singaporean jihadist. Eight more BIFF members were killed in succeeding offensives in Datu Unsay and Datu Hofer towns, both in Maguindanao.

Encinas said the operation was coordinated with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in accordance with the ceasefire mechanism. Out of fear, more than 30,000 civilians from Maguindanao and North Cotabato deserted their homes and sought refuge to safer grounds.

The operation against the BIFF was halted on June 15 when the Muslims observed Eid Fitr, the end of fasting month. However, military operations resumed the next day and it was during this time that the woman was killed on the spot.

A photo of the hole that the mortar round created had been circulating on social media. Another photo showed the victim wrapped in a blanket carried by residents to her burial site. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...