Army vows to bring peace in south Negros amid clashes vs. NPA remnants

Photo courtesy of 15th Infantry Battalion, Philippine Army

By Nanette Guadalquiver | Philippine News Agency

Operating battalions of the Philippine Army vowed to ensure peace for communities in southern Negros after their series of encounters with New People’s Army’s (NPA) rebels in Candoni, Negros Occidental late last week.

According to military reports on Monday, eight insurgents died, while none among the soldiers was injured or killed during the gunbattles between remnants of the South West Front and troops of the 47th and 15th Infantry Battalions (IB) in Barangay Gatuslao on Nov. 21 and 22.

In a statement, 47IB Commander Lt. Col. Magno Mapalad III said their unit “remains committed to protecting the people, respecting human rights, and fostering lasting peace in the conflict-affected areas.”

“We urge the remaining NPA members to surrender and return to their respective families. The government is ready to support those who seek to reintegrate into society and pursue a peaceful life,” he added.

On Nov. 21, security patrol operations of the 47IB and 15IB troops in Sitio Cogon led to an encounter with about 10 NPA remnants, seven of whom died during the 40-minute gunbattle.

After the clash, the soldiers seized eight high-powered firearms, including five M-16 armalite rifles, 2 AK 47 rifles, and an M653 “baby” armalite.

Only one of the seven fatalities was claimed by family members, while the six others, who remained unidentified, were buried a day after the encounter through the initiative of the 47IB and the municipal government.

During the pursuit operations on Nov. 22, 15IB troops clashed anew with the NPA remnants, resulting in the death of another insurgent in Sitio Soso.

They also found the rebels’ hideout and recovered a caliber.45 pistol, two improvised explosive devices, two hand-held radios, a bandoleer, and 16 backpacks, among other items.

In a separate statement, Lt. Col. Brian Bagaipo, acting commanding officer of the 15IB, said through the operation, they aim to “secure the communities and promote lasting peace and development in southern Negros.”

“This mission reflects our commitment to protecting the communities we serve. The swift action of our troops and the cooperation of the community have dealt a significant blow to the communist rebels’ operations in the area,” he added.

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...