Army’s active combat, non-combat ops weaken NPA in Sultan Kudarat

TACURONG CITY — The massive combat and psychological operations of the Army’s 33rd Infantry Battalion (IB) have weakened the communist New People’s Army (NPA) in the mountains of Sultan Kudarat province.

Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, commander of the 33rd IB, said the surrender in batches over the past two months of more than 100 NPA members operating at the Daguma mountain range in the adjoining towns of Bagumbayan and Sen. Ninoy Aquino, is an indication that the rebels are losing mass base support.

On Friday, the military official reported that soldiers have found an abandoned NPA encampment of Platoon Bravo under a certain Commander Yoyo, and Platoon Myphone under a certain Commander MacMac on Km. 13 in Barangay Sto. Nino, Bagumbayan, Sultan Kudarat.

The encampment could accommodate as much as 50 people, Cabunoc said.

Early on, another encampment was found in Sitio Tandang in Barangay Monteverde, also in Bagumbayan, which could accommodate at least 30 rebels.

Late last year, Cabunoc said his unit had captured an active NPA terrorist training camp with an obstacle course in Barangay Laguilayan, Isulan, Sultan Kudarat.

In that particular operation, two NPA members were arrested and one rifle, one improvised bomb, and a hand grenade were recovered from them.

Cabunoc said the combat operation and the surrender of more than 100 have also affected the rebels’ recruitment in remote communities.

“Regular patrols of soldiers and Police Special Action Force have hindered the movement of the terrorist groups,” Cabunoc said.

“It also hampered the flow of their food supplies,” he said, adding there is no food blockade being imposed on Daguma.

”They (NPA) find a hard time in sustaining their armed group nowadays. It is a big challenge for them to re-supply their armed group for we already captured one of their errand boys who buys food for them,” Cabunoc said.

He clarified that winning the war against the NPA is not only through gun battle but “through good governance, supported by the local government unit”.

“For the last six months, there had been no rebel attack in our area of responsibility while more rebels are signifying (their) intention to surrender,” Cabunoc said. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...