Authorities expediting probe on slay of Albay radio anchor

LEGAZPI CITY, Albay — Authorities in Bicol have formed an inter-agency task force that will look into the death of broadcaster and anchorman Joey Llana, who was shot as he was driving his car along Barangay Peñafrancia, Daraga town on Friday.

This was bared by Police Regional Office 5 (Bicol) Director Chief Supt. Arnel Escobal, who formed a special investigation group called “Task Group Llana” that would conduct an in-depth investigation into the possible motive behind the media man’s death, as well as the identity of the killers and the mastermind.

Escobal directed Albay Police Director Senior Supt. Milo Pagtalunan, and Supt. Benito Dipad to lead the task group.

Escobal, who is also a lawyer, said that investigators are still pursuing leads and gathering testimonies from possible witnesses, who might be able to shed light on the killing.

Probers said at least 12 empty shells from .45 and 9-mm handguns were recovered at the crime scene.

Philippine National Police Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde had earlier vowed to prioritize solving the case of the slain radio broadcaster, and directed the Bicol Police to coordinate closely with the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS) to help solve the case quickly.

“Through relentless investigative work and follow up police actions, let us put these criminals and their patrons behind bars as soon as possible,” Albayalde said. “Let there be no stone unturned as we seek justice for the victim and his family”.

He also expressed his deepest condolences to the bereaved family of Llana as he strongly condemned the slaying of the media man.

PTFoMS Executive Director Undersecretary Joel Sy Egco formed “Task Force Llana,” less than six hours after the reported killing of the Blocktime broadcaster.

Egco said the task force would extensively look into the killing of the journalist, adding that PTFoMS directly participates in issues involving the security and safety of media practitioners like Llana

Malacañang on Friday strongly condemned the killing, with Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque calling Llana’s slay as another infringement on press freedom.

The killing of Llana on Friday brings to five the media personalities killed in Albay over the past two decades, including John Villanueva, radio anchor of DZGB; Claire Domingo, a military radio anchor; Jose Loreno of DZRC; and Ruel Endrinal of DWRL. (Mario Arguelles and Benjamin Pulta/PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...