Authorities seize ‘shabu’ off Pangasinan waters with fishers’ help

FLOATING SHABU. Joint authorities seized a total of 28 sacks containing suspected shabu recovered by local fisherfolk in the vicinity waters of Pangasinan on Thursday and Friday (June 5–6, 2025), according to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG). (Photo courtesy: PCG)

By Brian Campued

Joint authorities recovered a total of 28 sacks containing sealed packs of suspected “shabu” off the coastal waters of Pangasinan from June 5–6 with the help of the local fishing community, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said Saturday.

According to Coast Guard District North Western Luzon Commander, Capt. Mark Larsen Mariano, the local fisherfolks play a crucial role in identifying and reporting suspicious packages and activities at sea.

“The latest finds came from a combination of Coast Guard maritime patrols and swift reporting of fisherfolk, who have been instrumental in ensuring the safe turnover of these contrabands,” Mariano said.

“Residents and fishermen are continuously being reminded that possession or tampering with suspicious packages could lead to criminal charges and discovery of such items should be immediately reported to the nearest PCG unit.”

FLOATING SHABU. Joint authorities seized a total of 28 sacks containing suspected shabu recovered by local fisherfolk in the vicinity waters of Pangasinan on Thursday and Friday (June 5–6, 2025), according to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG). (Photo courtesy: PCG)

These community engagement efforts along with PCG’s collaboration with the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) in conducting coastal security patrols are in line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to intensify anti-illegal drug operations in the country.

Initial investigation of the previously seized seven sacks estimated the value of the suspected illegal drugs to at least P1.17 billion, the PCG said in a press release.

The initial sacks of contraband were discovered by fishermen at sea in the towns of Agno, Bolinao, and Bani in Pangasinan.

“The investigation remains ongoing to determine the source and intended recipients of the recovered illegal drugs,” the Coast Guard official added.

-jpv

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...