Authorities seize ‘shabu’ off Pangasinan waters with fishers’ help

FLOATING SHABU. Joint authorities seized a total of 28 sacks containing suspected shabu recovered by local fisherfolk in the vicinity waters of Pangasinan on Thursday and Friday (June 5–6, 2025), according to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG). (Photo courtesy: PCG)

By Brian Campued

Joint authorities recovered a total of 28 sacks containing sealed packs of suspected “shabu” off the coastal waters of Pangasinan from June 5–6 with the help of the local fishing community, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said Saturday.

According to Coast Guard District North Western Luzon Commander, Capt. Mark Larsen Mariano, the local fisherfolks play a crucial role in identifying and reporting suspicious packages and activities at sea.

“The latest finds came from a combination of Coast Guard maritime patrols and swift reporting of fisherfolk, who have been instrumental in ensuring the safe turnover of these contrabands,” Mariano said.

“Residents and fishermen are continuously being reminded that possession or tampering with suspicious packages could lead to criminal charges and discovery of such items should be immediately reported to the nearest PCG unit.”

FLOATING SHABU. Joint authorities seized a total of 28 sacks containing suspected shabu recovered by local fisherfolk in the vicinity waters of Pangasinan on Thursday and Friday (June 5–6, 2025), according to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG). (Photo courtesy: PCG)

These community engagement efforts along with PCG’s collaboration with the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) in conducting coastal security patrols are in line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to intensify anti-illegal drug operations in the country.

Initial investigation of the previously seized seven sacks estimated the value of the suspected illegal drugs to at least P1.17 billion, the PCG said in a press release.

The initial sacks of contraband were discovered by fishermen at sea in the towns of Agno, Bolinao, and Bani in Pangasinan.

“The investigation remains ongoing to determine the source and intended recipients of the recovered illegal drugs,” the Coast Guard official added.

-jpv

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...