Bacolaodiat Festival set Feb. 1 to 5

By Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA

Bacolod City officials led by Mayor Evelio Leonardia and leaders of the local Filipino-Chinese community cut the ribbon for the opening of the Chopstick Alley and Imperial Village in a past edition of the Bacolaodiat Festival. (Photo courtesy of bacolaodiat.com)

BACOLOD CITY — Preparations for the 14th Bacolaodiat Festival to welcome the Chinese New Year in this city are underway.

This year’s Bacolaodiat, whose name originated from “Baco” for Bacolod and “Lao Diat,” a Fookien word for celebration, will be held on February 1 to 5.

The Lunar New Year will be celebrated on February 5, based on the traditional Chinese calendar, and 2019 will be the year of the Earth Pig.

Among the highlights of the five-day celebration is Bacolaodiat Lantern Dance Competition.

As of Wednesday, eight groups have been chosen to participate, including the six that have passed the screening, organizers said.

These are Carlos Hilado Memorial State College-Alijis, Balow Dance Group, Granadianz, Double J Full Force, Choi Force, and Rustylian as well as last year’s champion, BMD, and first runner-up, Jojaju.

Competition judge Rudy Reveche, together with Bacolaodiat Parade coordinator Kim Chauven Villaluna, earlier discussed the guidelines with the representatives of the eight competing groups.

Meanwhile, the celebration kicks off with the traditional Dazzling Grand Parade led by the local Filipino-Chinese community and Chinese schools.

Other events include cultural events, nightly fireworks display, and lantern-making contest.

The Chopsticks Alley features Chinese food stalls and traditional cooking demos while the Imperial Village showcases Asian arts and crafts, such as calligraphy, wishing tree, and palm reading.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...