Bacolod City mayor welcomes 2 challengers to re-election bid

GUNNING FOR A SECOND TERM. Mayor Evelio Leonardia (seated, left) files his certificate of candidacy for a second term before the Commission on Elections office in Bacolod City, in the presence of his wife Elsa (standing, left) on October 11. (Photo courtesy of Bacolod City PIO)

BACOLOD CITY — Mayor Evelio Leonardia has welcomed the two challengers to his re-election bid in the May 2019 elections.

“I cannot choose my opponents. Whoever are my opponents, I will still do the same. I will campaign for myself. We’ll wait and see,” Leonardia said here Wednesday.

On Tuesday, former councilor and lawyer Jocelle Batapa-Sigue, and radio broadcaster Ray Carmona filed their respective certificates of candidacy (COCs) for mayor.

Batapa-Sigue, executive director of the Bacolod-Negros Occidental Federation for Information and Communications Technology and vice president of the National ICT Confederation of the Philippines, is running as an independent candidate, but she has been adopted by the Asenso para sa Buas-damlag sang Bacolodnon-Magbinuligay Kita sa Kauswagan (ABB-MKK), led by former mayor Monico Puentevella, who is running for congressman this time.

Carmona is a former member of MKK, who previously ran for councilor but lost.

In 2016, Leonardia, who was then a congressman, challenged Puentevella for mayor and won, frustrating the latter’s bid for a second term.

Leonardia, who filed his COC on the first day of filing last Oct. 11, said that whether he has an opponent or not, his concern is his own line-up since he wants all the candidates of the ruling Grupo Progreso to win.

“If you give us 15-0, Grupo Progreso will take responsibility. We will give you peace, unity and prosperity,” he said.

Leonardia is seeking re-election along with allies Rep. Greg Gasataya and Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...