Bacolod crime volume down by almost 14% in September

BACOLOD CITY — Crime incidents here decreased by 13.96 percent in September as the Bacolod City Police Office sustained the implementation of enhanced management police operations.

Senior Supt. Francisco Ebreo, acting city police director, reported in a press conference on Wednesday that in last month, a total of 228 crimes were recorded, lower by 37 compared to the 265 cases in September last year.

Index crimes, or crimes against persons and properties, dropped by 57.69 percent — from 104 cases in September 2017 to only 44 this year. These cover the eight focus crimes which are murder, homicide, physical injury, rape, robbery, theft, carjacking and stealing of motorcycles.

However, non-index crimes, which include reckless imprudence resulting in homicide, physical injury and damage to property – as well as violations of other special laws – rose by 23 incidents or 14.29 percent — from 161 cases last year to 184.

Ebreo said this can be attributed to the increase in police-initiated operations which led to more recorded violations during the period.

Records showed that operations such as those against illegal drugs, illegal gambling, illegal possession of firearms, were up by 93 in September this year from only 63 during the same month last year.

In August, crime volume in Bacolod went down by 20 percent while in July a decrease of 18.85 percent was recorded.

Meanwhile, in September this year, the Bacolod police seized PHP4.832 million worth of suspected shabu (crystal meth).

During the 30-day period, anti-drug units arrested 52 persons in 44 operations. Those arrested included three high-value targets, six street level targets, and 43 newly-identified personalities.

A total of 115 cases were filed against the suspects. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...