Bad weather prompts suspension of F2F classes in Tacloban

By Sarwell Meniano | Philippine News Agency

TACLOBAN CITY – Heavy rains prompted the cancellation of the first day of resumption of limited face-to-face classes on Monday, Mar. 7, for over 7,000 learners here as the city government issued a directive suspending work and classes in all levels.

The red rainfall warning raised by the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) due to a low-pressure area prompted Mayor Alfred Romualdez to issue Executive Order No. 2002-02-03 early Monday.

“All are set for the face-to-face classes since we have been preparing beginning October last year, but we have to abide by the executive order for the safety of our teachers and students,” Nilo Eder, Department of Education (DepEd) Tacloban schools division information officer, said in a phone interview.

The DepEd earlier identified 46 campuses in the city covered by limited face-to-face classes for learners fully vaccinated against Covid-19.

The number of participating students represents about 12 percent of the over 56,000 learners enrolled in the current academic year.

Since Mar. 2, the city and the rest of the region have been experiencing cloudy skies with moderate to at times heavy rainfall due to the easterlies and La Niña.

The low-pressure area has dumped more rains in the region since Sunday, PAGASA said.

Under the Local Government Code, governors and mayors are allowed to suspend classes as chairman of the Local Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, especially during disasters and calamities to ensure the safety of learners.

Not covered by work suspension are those involved in the maintenance of peace and order, disaster risk management, health and sanitation, and traffic management. (PNA) – bny

 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...