Batangas legislative council okays “Tsunami Contingency Plan”

By Saul Pa-a/Philippine News Agency

BATANGAS CITY – Batangas province now has a “Tsunami Contingency Plan” following approval of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (provincial legislative council) during its 20th regular session earlier this week.

Batangas provincial information office chief Jenelyn Aguilera told the Philippine News Agency on Friday that the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC), which sought approval of the “Batangas Provincial Contingency Plan for Tsunami”, aims to better prepare all concerned government agencies in dealing with tsunamis and their aftermath.

“Sa gabay ng contingency planning, magtataguyod at magpapatupad ng mga polisiya nang sa gayon ay maprotektahan at matiyak ang (through the guidance under the contingency planning, policies shall be enforced and implemented to ensure and ascertain the) constitutional rights to life and property,” Aguilera explained.

Aguilera added that the plan also calls for crafting of local laws and ordinances, including guidelines based on a unified criteria and checklist to ensure the public will get all the help they need should a tsunami hit the province.

The province has a coastline stretching 492 kilometers, which covers a city, 14 towns and 152 shoreline villages, she added.

“Ang contingency plan ay magiging aktibo lamang kapag nagkaroon ng banta ng tsunami sa lalawigan, na siyang tutukuyin ng DOST-PHIVOLCS, na inilahad sa scenario at assessment nito (the contingency plan will be activated in the event of a tsunami threat in the province which is validated through the DOST-PHIVOLCS, based on a scenario and assessment),” Aguilera said.

She explained that the plan includes preparing for a scenario involving an 8.2-magnitude earthquake, which could trigger a tsunami, endangering the coastal villages.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...