Beijing ups restrictions to contain latest COVID-19 flare-ups

Xinhua News Agency

BEIJING — The Chinese capital city of Beijing intensified restrictive measures against COVID-19 on Saturday to best reduce cross-infection as high mobility is expected during the five-day Labor Day holiday starting from Saturday, April 30.

Beijing reported 59 new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and eight asymptomatic cases between 3 p.m. Friday and 3 p.m. Saturday. A total of 295 local infections in 13 districts have been logged in the city since April 22.

Beijing now has six high-risk areas and 23 medium-risk areas for COVID-19.

According to Ding Jianhua with the Beijing Municipal Commerce Bureau, many cases in the lastest upsurge in Beijing were infected at restaurants. Thus, to reduce the risk of cross-infection, restaurants in Beijing will suspend eat-in and switch to delivery services from May 1 to 4.

Beijing is also preparing to construct makeshift hospitals for a rainy day.

So far, about 4,000 beds have been reserved for COVID-19 infections in Beijing, and more venues are being transformed into large-scale makeshift hospitals in case of need, Li Ang, deputy director of the Beijing Municipal Health Commission, told a press conference on Saturday.

“The makeshift hospitals are built to treat mild cases and asymptomatic carriers, which is an effective means to block the spread of the epidemic. It’s also vital to reduce overuse of medical resources and ensure that citizens get medical treatment in time,” said Li.

Li added that residents need not panic as there are currently “not so many patients in Beijing, but we should plan ahead.”

A negative nucleic acid test result is required to enter public venues during the Labor Day holiday.

Parks, open venues for entertainment and cultural activities will cap the number of visitors at half of the maximum flow during the holiday.

The city government also requires people who enter public places or take public transport to hold a negative nucleic acid test within seven days starting from May 5. Nucleic acid testing will be made available to citizens free of charge from May 3 to facilitate the public. – gb

Popular

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...

Palace lauds rude Russian vlogger’s arrest; persona non grata declaration looms

By Filane Mikee Cervantes | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Friday lauded law enforcement agencies for their swift action in arresting Russian-American vlogger Vitaly Zdorovetskiy,...

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...