Belarus develops test systems for monkeypox detection

MINSK — Test systems for detecting monkeypox will be ready to use in Belarus by mid-June as planned, the country’s Deputy Health Minister and Chief State Sanitary Doctor Alexander Tarasenko said Tuesday, May 24.

The National Research Center for Epidemiology and Microbiology is engaging in the development of the test systems, reported BELTA News Agency,

If testing is needed before mid-June, the biomaterial will be transferred to Russia’s State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology Vector, Tarasenko was quoted as saying.

According to Tarasenko, epidemiologists are concerned about monkeypox cases in Europe, as the epidemic, previously recorded in Central and West Africa, has now spread to other parts of the world.

However, the deputy minister said that the risk of importing the infection to Belarus is minimal and the health ministry has strengthened control measures at the border.

Monkeypox is a viral zoonotic disease that occurs primarily in the tropical rainforest areas of central and west Africa and is occasionally exported to other regions. In May 2022, multiple cases of monkeypox were identified in several non-endemic countries, according to the World Health Organization. – gb

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...