BI asks PNP to examine passport of Egyptian ISIS member

MANILA — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Tuesday requested the Philippine National Police (PNP) to conduct an examination on the passport of Egyptian national Fehmi Lassoued, an alleged member of terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) who was nabbed by authorities last week.

“In light of the recent information, the BI has coordinated with and requested the PNP for a cursory examination of the document to determine if it is fake or a genuine passport but fraudulently acquired,” BI Spokesperson Antonette Mangrobang said.

“Likewise we have sent request to the honorary consulate of Tunisia here to determine if the passport is genuinely issued,” the BI official added.

Mangrobang added that the Egyptian national was allowed entry in the country since he was not included in the Interpol watchlist.

“He does not have a derogatory record in the Bureau’s database. We have no record as well that he was denied entry in two countries po,” she said.

“Fehmi Lassoued underwent immigration inspection and was admitted into the country upon presentation of his passport and determination of the absence of any BI derogatory record or Interpol notice. On the authenticity of the passport, the BI primary inspectors’ initial determination is that the passport is genuine,” Mangrobang added.

On Monday, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Ronald dela Rosa reported the arrest of the suspected ISIS member and his Filipina partner, Anabel Moncera Salipada from Upi in Maguindanao in Manila.

They were arrested in a rented place in Room 409, Casa Blanca Apartment along M. Adriatico, Malate, Manila.

Dela Rosa said Lassoued entered the country with a fake Tunisian passport in July 2016. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...