BI taps PDEA to probe Korean fugitive’s involvement in drug trade

MANILA — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) will defer the deportation of a Korean fugitive wanted for illegal drugs in his country who was arrested in Pampanga as he will be subject to investigation to determine his alleged involvement in the drug trade in the country.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente is set to ask the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) to temporarily take custody of Noh Jun Ho, 45, so he could be investigated and, if warranted, charged with violating the anti-drug law.

Based on intelligence reports gathered by the BI’s fugitive search unit (FSU), Ho was into selling illegal drugs to his compatriots in the Philippines before his arrest in Angeles City, Pampanga on Tuesday.

“We want the PDEA to investigate if he was really involved in illegal drugs,” said the BI chief in a statement.

At the same time, Morente vowed to go after other foreigners who might be pinpointed as his accomplices or cohorts in his criminal activities.

“Should we find that said reports about him are not true, then that’s the time we will deport him to Korea so he could be prosecuted and sentenced for crimes he committed in his country,” he added.

BI-FSU operatives led by immigration intelligence officer Bobby Raquepo collared the Korean during an operation in Barangay Cuayan, Angeles City, Pampanga, upon the request of the South Korean embassy in Manila which informed the BI that he is wanted for violating his country’s narcotics control act.

On the other hand, BI chief personnel officer and acting spokesman Grifton Medina said that Ho is an undocumented alien as the Korean government had already canceled his passport.

A check of his travel records showed that he last arrived here on October 26, 2016.

The suspect is currently detained at BI detention facility in Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City pending issuance of the order for his summary deportation by the Bureau’s Board of Commissioners. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...