BIR: Online sellers now subjected to withholding tax

By Anna Leah Gonzales | Philippine News Agency

The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) on Tuesday said electronic marketplace operators are now imposing withholding tax on sellers or merchants.

“Electronic marketplace operators will begin imposing withholding tax against their sellers/merchants starting July 15, 2024. We have already extended this by 90 days. No further extensions will be given,” BIR Commissioner Romeo Lumagui Jr. said in a news release.

In December last year, the BIR issued Revenue Regulation 16-2023 requiring online merchants with earnings of more than P500,000 annually to be subjected to a one percent withholding tax.

The withholding tax will apply to half of the gross remittances by electronic marketplace operators and digital financial services providers of sellers or merchants for the goods or services sold through their platforms.

BIR Revenue Memorandum Circular 55-2024 provided a 90-day extension to allow affected parties to adjust to the imposition of the withholding tax.

According to the BIR, the extension was granted in recognition of the compliance needed with the relative policies or requirements of other government agencies and to give the affected parties time to adjust.

“Withholding tax is not a new tax. It’s merely a system of taxation where taxes are collected at source, which will be credited against the total income tax liability of the sellers/merchants,” Lumagui said.

He said the BIR aims to level the playing field between brick-and-mortar stores, which are regularly complying with their tax obligations, and online marketplaces.

“Whether their business is operated online or through physical stores, sellers and merchants have to pay their taxes,” he said.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...