BOC: Balikbayan boxes abandoned in Manila, Davao ports delivered

Photo courtesy: DOF

By Anna Leah Gonzales | Philippine News Agency

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has completed the delivery of all balikbayan boxes left by cargo handlers in the Ports of Manila and Davao.

The Department of Finance (DOF) said a total of 25,818 boxes were turned over to families of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

Finance Secretary Frederick Go said in his message during the balikbayan box distribution at the Port of Cebu on March 24, “Patuloy ang Bureau of Customs at ang Department of Finance, kasama ang Department of Migrant Workers [DMW], sa pagtulong para maibalik ang mga abandoned boxes sa mga pamilya.”

Go said the government would ensure that every balikbayan box reaches its owner and that those responsible for any misconduct are held accountable.

Meanwhile, BOC Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said the BOC would prioritize the speedy delivery of the remaining balikbayan boxes.

He assured that the BOC would focus on the Manila International Container Port (MICP) and Port of Cebu to complete remaining deliveries.

Data provided by the DOF showed that 13,842 boxes have been released in Cebu, 8,475 at the MICP, 2,699 in Subic, 732 in Davao, and 70 at the Port of Manila.

A total of 15,084 boxes remain scheduled for release, primarily from MICP (14,487) and a smaller portion from Cebu (498).

The distribution marked the final stage of delivering the remaining balikbayan boxes that had been abandoned at the Port of Cebu.

Go advised the public to remain vigilant and to only transact with legitimate box forwarding companies to prevent similar problems in the future. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...