BOC donates abandoned, forfeited goods for Cebu quake victims

Photo courtesy: BOC

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Monday turned over abandoned and forfeited goods to the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) to be donated to the victims of the deadly Sept. 30 earthquake in Cebu.

In a statement, BOC Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said the OCD will handle the distribution of the donated items to the affected families, ensuring their fast delivery.

“In moments like this, every donation can make a difference for our countrymen who have lost their homes and security,” Nepomuceno said.

A send-off ceremony was held Monday morning at the Villamor Air Base in Pasay City.

The donation, which came mostly from the Manila International Container Port (MICP), included 56 pieces of rapid emergency tents and 1,087 pieces of assorted tents to serve as temporary shelters, 50 units of mobile power supply to provide electricity in affected areas, and one bio-toilet unit to ensure proper sanitation for displaced residents.

Nepomuceno said the donated items were declared abandoned and subsequently forfeited in favor of the government.

Aside from the forfeited items, the BOC also donated over 100 sacks of rice to support food assistance efforts in the earthquake-affected areas.

Nepomuceno, who previously served as undersecretary of the Department of National Defense and administrator of the OCD, said the partnership highlights the coordination of government agencies to maximize resources and deliver timely support during emergencies.

For his part, MICP District Collector Rizalino Jose Torralba expressed his full support for the initiative, reaffirming the port’s commitment to utilizing abandoned and forfeited goods for the benefit of the public.

“The Manila International Container Port stands in full support of the BOC’s thrust to transform abandoned goods into opportunities for service. Through this donation, we hope to extend help and bring comfort to our fellow Filipinos in Cebu who are recovering from this calamity,” he said. (PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...