Bomb retrieval continues in Marawi’s ground zero

By Divina Suson/Philippine News Agency

MARAWI CITY — The retrieval operations for  unexploded explosives are ongoing inside the “most affected area” (MAA) here following the discovery of a an aerial bomb near a residential area, an official of the National Housing Authority (NHA) said Thursday.

NHA’s Roderick Ibañez, head of Marawi Project Management Office, said the “unexploded  ordnance” or UXO was accidentally discovered by the clearing team on Tuesday (July 23) amid the ongoing rehabilitation works in the area.

Ibañez said the bomb was confirmed by a follow-up verification using ground-penetrating radar (GPR) and sniffing dogs, with the help of the Explosive and Ordnance Team of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

Ibañez said five UXOs have so far been retrieved since EDDMARI Construction started its rehabilitation works in the MAA on March 1 this year.

Lt. Col. Elmer Oamil, commander of the Joint Task Group Builder based inside the MAA, said troops of the Army’s 553rd Engineer Battalion have already excavated nine meters deep of earth but faces difficulty in retrieving the unexploded ordnance.

“We cannot yet identify if it is 250 or 500-pounder bomb. The excavation is very difficult, we have to do it very slowly because it is very critical to the lives of our troops who do the excavation,” Oamil said.

The Philippine Air Force(PAF) reported it has dropped 70 bombs that did not explode during aerial bombings against Islamic State-inspired militants in the 2017 siege.

The PAF earlier said the bombs consisted of  110-pounder, 250-pounder, and 500-pounder ordnance. Twenty-nine UXOs have already been retrieved and disposed of even before the  rehabilitation started, PAF said.

The latest UXO retrieval involving a 500-pounder bomb was on June 26 and was detonated the same day.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...