Bontoc bans live pigs, pork from Ilocos Sur town

By Gabriela Baron

The Municipality of Bontoc, Mt. Province banned the entry of live pigs and pork from a town in Ilocos Sur, citing the spread of African swine fever (ASF).

In an advisory posted Aug. 11, Bontoc Mayor Jerome Tudlong Jr. said high mortalities of pigs due to ASF has been reported in Cervantes, Ilocos Sur and nearby barangays.

“To prevent further spread this disease and to help protect the livelihood of our swine raises against the re-infection of ASF in our municipality, the entry of live swine/pigs, pork, locally processed pork products and by- products from the said area is hereby temporarily suspended,” Tudlong said.

The Provincial Government of Benguet earlier banned hogs and swine products from Cervantes in July.

Vigan City and Bauko, Mt. Province also followed earlier in August. 

-ag

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...