Boracay tourist arrivals decline as closure nears

BORACAY ISLAND, Aklan — With less than one week left before the closure, the number of tourists going to Boracay has already declined.

Data from Aklan Jetty Port Administration showed that tourist arrivals this April has declined by 33 percent already.

Boracay received a total of 81,972 tourists from April 1 to 18, way lower compared to the 122,852 on the same period of last year.

Aklan Jetty Port Administrator Niven Maquirang on Thursday said that while tourists continue to visit Boracay, it is expected to go down further until the closure date on April 26.

He said most of this decline is due to the cancelled flights, majority from China.

Despite the decrease, foreign tourists continue to dominate tourism arrivals in Boracay.

This April, 51,338 foreign tourists visited the island while local tourists only numbered 38,340 and 2,238 were overseas workers.

Meanwhile, Maquirang said they are ready to implement whatever guidelines would be approved once the closure starts.

He said issuance of terminal pass for residents, workers, workers for rehabilitation and the media is currently ongoing until April 22.

The terminal pass will allow them to enter the Caticlan Jetty Port, which will be the main entry to Boracay.

“Without the terminal pass, they will not be given boat tickets,” he said.

A one-stop-shop with different agencies involved in the rehabilitation of Boracay will be put up at Caticlan Jetty Port to assist those who will be affected by the closure.

Among the agencies that will join the activity are: Departments of Labor and Employment; Social Welfare and Development; Environment and Natural Resources and Bureau of Immigration.

Boracay will be closed to local and foreign tourists for a maximum of six months for rehabilitation. (PNA)

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...