Brunei Sultan vows to work closely with PH on peace efforts

By Gabriela Baron

Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei on Saturday, Nov. 13, vowed his continued support to the efforts of the Philippines in ensuring peace and stability.

Brunei is part of the International Monitoring Team and the independent decommissioning body in the peace process in the southern Philippines.

Marcos recognized the role that Brunei Sultanate played in the Mindanao peace process despite the roadblocks posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I’m happy to be able to inform, Your Majesty, that the peace process is proceeding along. Although we have extended the Transition Authority for another three years simply because they were unable to do their job during the pandemic,” Marcos said during a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the 40th and 41st Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit and Related Summits in Cambodia.

“This process — the negotiations between the Bangsamoro and our Muslim brothers and sisters began in 1976 — I believe, is the fruition of that. And we are very happy,” he pointed out.

The President informed the sultan that there will be a parliamentary election in the Bangsamoro Region in 2025, adding he looks forward to having a functioning autonomous government in the south, the result of many years of hard work.

In response, Bolkiah lauded the Philippine government for its effort to attain peace and prosperity in the Bangsamoro.

Bolkiah also recognized the strong fraternal bond between Brunei and the Philippines as he recalled hosting the late President Ferdinand Marcos Sr. during the celebration of the country’s first National Day in February 1984.

“Since then, our relations have continued to grow stronger. There’s an active exchange between us at all levels. There is a large Filipino community in Brunei. They are an important part of our growth and invaluable contribution to our socioeconomic development,” Bolkiah said. -ag

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...