Bulacan conducts ‘Oplan: Ligtas Tigdas’ vs. rising measles cases

By Manny Balbin/PNA

CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — In a bid to prevent the spread of measles in the province, the provincial government of Bulacan through the Provincial Health Office on Monday started implementing its intensified “Oplan: Ligtas Tigdas sa Bulacan” campaign.

Following the sudden rise in measles cases in the country, Governor Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado encouraged Bulakenyos to have their children vaccinated against this infectious disease.

“Do not be afraid to vaccinate our children, grandchildren, because it is still the most effective way to fight diseases not just for measles, much more like polio, pertussis, pneumonia and so on,” Alvarado said.

Oplan Ligtas Tigdas includes information dissemination on how to avoid contracting measles; consultation in health centers and hospitals when having symptoms of measles; mass vaccination against the disease in every barangay; continuous surveillance of vaccine-preventable diseases and reporting to concerned authorities; and bringing all infants six to nine months old to health centers for their proper and corresponding vaccinations.

According to the Provincial Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (PESU), the province has reported 217 suspected measles cases from January 1-26, 2019, which is 1,708 percent higher than the 12 reported cases during the same period last year. Among the cases, 63 percent comprises children aged five years old and below.

The PESU also noted six measles-related death cases from the towns of Paombong, Bocaue, Sta. Maria, Baliwag, City of San Jose del Monte and City of Meycauayan.

Based on records, City of San Jose del Monte has the highest measles cases with 42 followed by Bocaue with 29 and Baliwag with 23.

Since there was a noticeable increase in measles cases in the province starting August 2018, the provincial government of Bulacan, in partnership with the Department of Health, conducted the “Ligtas Tigdas Plus” wherein they vaccinated 17,030 children aged six months to five years old from October to December.

Dr. Jocelyn Gomez, public health officer, said despite their efforts, measles cases continued to increase due to low vaccination coverage as a result of the Dengvaxia controversy.

“At present, there are more than 42,000 children aged six months until the age of five who are still incomplete with the measles vaccine,” Gomez said.

Measles is a highly contagious viral disease and is transmitted via droplets from the nose, mouth or throat of infected persons.

Initial symptoms, which usually appear 10–12 days after infection, include high fever, runny nose, bloodshot eyes, and tiny white spots on the inside of the mouth.

Several days later, a rash develops, starting on the face and upper neck and gradually spreading downwards.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...