Calapan barbershop to collect cut hair to help Oriental Mindoro oil spill cleanup

(Photo courtesy of PCG)

By Gabriela Baron

A local barbershop in Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro is collecting cut hair to help oil spill clean up in the province.

“Hair, surprisingly, turns to be a potent weapon against oil spills because of its remarkable ability to absorb five times its weight in oil,” Bruskos Barber Shop said in a Facebook post.

“[Your] hair shall be used in cleaning the oil spill,” it added.

In 2006, beauty salons and barbershops from different parts of the country collected cut hair and sent them to Guimaras responders after an oil tanker spilled over two million liters of bunker fuel in the Island.

Approximately 20,000 hectares of coral reef, 9,900 hectares of mangroves, and 6,000 hectares of seagrass were said to be affected by the oil spill, according to marine experts.

“The spill from an oil tanker near Naujan, Oriental Mindoro is spreading to more areas and had already reached the municipal shores of Pola, Pinamalayan, Gloria, and Bongabong,” the barbershop noted.

It also said that 10% of its gross sales will be donated directly to the affected families.

The initiative will run until April 4.

The oil spill also reportedly reached several shorelines of municipalities in Oriental Mindoro, Occidental Mindoro, and Palawan.

The Philippine Coast Guard also confirmed the presence of an oil spill in Antique.

This, after the MT Princess Empress ship, carrying 800,000 liters of industrial oil, submerged in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro on Tuesday, February 28. -cf

READ MORE: PCG: Oil spill in Oriental Mindoro waters contain industrial fuel oil

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...