Caloocan RTC orders arrest of 2 cops in Carl, Kulot slay case

A copy of the arrest warrant issued by the Caloocan City Regional Trial Court against Police Officers 1 Jeffrey Perez and Ricky Arquilita.

MANILA — The Caloocan City Regional Trial Court (RTC) has ordered the arrest of two Caloocan policemen linked to the killing of teenagers Carl Angelo Arnaiz and Reynaldo “Kulot” de Guzman in August last year.

This comes after the Department of Justice (DOJ) filed criminal charges against the suspects Police Officers 1 Jeffrey Perez and Ricky Arquilita.

Perez and Arquilita are facing two counts each of murder and planting of evidence in violation of Section 38 of Republic Act (RA) 10591 or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunitions Regulation Act, in connection with the handgun found with Arnaiz.

The Justice Department also filed two more counts of planting of evidence in violation of RA 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act, due to the shabu and marijuana found from Arnaiz, and two counts of torture in violation of Sections 4 and 14 of RA 9745 or the Anti-Torture Act of 2009.

The arrest warrant dated Jan. 23, 2018 issued by Caloocan RTC Branch 122 Judge Georgina Hidalgo recommended no bail for the suspects.

Copies of the warrant have been forwarded to the chiefs of police in Taguig, Caloocan, officer-in-charge of the Regional Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit in Camp Bagong Diwa, National Bureau of Investigation and the Philippine National Police’s Criminal Investigation and Detection Group.

Acting Prosecutor General Jorge Catalan Jr. said murder charges were filed against the two policemen for killing the teens “without any danger to their lives”.

“Murder was filed because it was done in a treacherous manner without risk to themselves,” he told reporters Friday.

Catalan said the panel cleared taxi driver Tomas Bagcal from indictment even after insisting that Arnaiz robbed him.

“The panel found no probable cause against Tomas Bagcal, considering there were no overt acts, for his participation was not clear. So, his case was dismissed,” said Catalan.

“The panel of prosecutors would be handling the prosecution of this case unless referred or endorsed by the Department to the Office of the City Prosecutor of Caloocan, in which case, the prosecutors of Caloocan will be handling the prosecution of these cases,” he said. (PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...