Capiz gears up vs. Delta variant

By Alex Lumaque/PIA

Governor Esteban Evan Contreras has directed all the provincial government-run hospitals to prepare their facilities for a possible surge of COVID-19 cases in the province due to the Delta variant.

The statement was made after two local confirmed cases of COVID-19 caused by the Delta variant were recorded in the province, particularly in Jamindan and Tapaz towns, as per result of Whole Genome Sequencing released by the University of the Philippines – Philippine Genome Center that was forwarded to the Department of Health – Western Visayas Center for Health Development last week.

“I am directing them now to prepare medicine supplies, oxygen tanks and additional staff that will man additional facilities for COVID-19 patients,” Contreras said in Hiligaynon in a video posted in the provincial government’s official social media page.

He also appealed to the public to cooperate in the campaign by strictly observing the minimum health standards such as wearing of face mask and face shield, observing social distancing and regular washing of hands.

The COVID-19 Delta variant is a mutated COVID-19 virus which was first described in India.

It is said to be associated with evading immune protection, reduced antibody neutralization and increased transmissibility based on a DOH information material. (JBG/AAL/PIA Capiz) -rir

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...