Cardinal Vidal passes away

CEBU CITY — Cebu Archbishop Emeritus Ricardo Cardinal Vidal died at 7:28 a.m. Wednesday at the Perpetual Succour Hospital here. He was 86.

Dr. Rene Bullecer, one of the cardinal’s attending physicians and personal friend, confirmed his death after almost an hour of resuscitation efforts by doctors.

“His blood pressure abruptly dropped and doctors tried to resuscitate and revive him. After an hour I was told that he expired,” Bullecer told reporters.

As of Tuesday, Vidal’s condition was stable after dialysis although he was unconscious at the intensive care unit of the hospital.

The country’s most senior cardinal was brought to the hospital last Oct. 11 due to fever and shortness of breath but later lost consciousness and remained in coma since then.

Vidal served as Archbishop of Cebu from 1982 until his retirement in 2011. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...