Catanduanes municipalities still isolated, 19,000 families affected


The municipalities of Gigmoto, Baras, Bato, San Miguel, Virac, San Andres, and portions of Vega and Caramoan remain isolated as of Wednesday afternoon in the aftermath of super typhoon Rolly.

Catanduanes Gov. Joseph Cua earlier said that they will try to go to the areas on Wednesday. The local government is expecting an increase in the number of displaced families in the coming days if they will be able to enter the said towns.

The number of affected families in Catanduanes due to super Typhoon Rolly’s onslaught has been raised to 19,000 with five casualties and 56 persons injured.

The cost of agricultural damage in the province has been estimated at ₱1.3 billion with Abaca plantations sustaining severe damages.

The local government admitted that it is facing challenges in their dwindling funds given the current COVID-19 pandemic and after being previously hit by other typhoons. It is now seeking assistance from the national government to aid in the recovery of its residents.

“In a normal situation, malaki ang pondo ng kapitolyo, but because of COVID-19, ‘yung fund natin for relief ay nagamit na. And then of course, we have only ₱14M or ₱15M… Kung uubusin paano kung may dumating na bagyo sa December (In a normal situation, the capitol has huge funds, but we have used our relief funds for COVID-19… we only have ₱14M or ₱15M. What if we use it and another typhoon hits us in December?” Cua pointed out.

Electric lines and the water system may be completely restored by December. Other cooperatives from Visayas may assist on the matter.

A state of calamity has been declared in Catanduanes due to super Typhoon Rolly. – Report from Ryan Lesigues

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...