Cavite Gateway Terminal opens on Thursday

The Cavite Gateway Terminal, which will be the first container barge port in the country, will allow efficient transport of cargo from the Port of Manila to Cavite through barges and roll-on roll-off (RoRo) operations. It is expected to ease traffic congestion on major roads in Metro Manila. (Photo courtesy of DOTr)

MANILA — The Cavite Gateway Terminal (CGT), the country’s first container barge port, will be inaugurated on Thursday (Nov. 23), the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said Monday.

The terminal will enable efficient transport of cargo goods from Metro Manila going to Cavite and other port facilities in Luzon through the roll-on, roll-off (RoRo) operations.

“With the opening of CGT, traffic congestion is expected to ease in Metro Manila by up to two kilometers of traffic as the transport of cargo and container trucks will be waterborne,” DOTr said in a statement.

Located on a six-hectare property in Tanza, Cavite, the barge terminal, which will be operated by International Container Terminal Services Inc., is expected to reduce truck trips in Metro Manila by 140,000 trips annually.

Its construction started last year as the dry run of its barge operations was conducted in September in preparation for its full operations.

The CGT is part of the “Build, Build, Build” program of the Duterte administration.

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...