Cebu archbishop dismayed over approval of divorce bill

CEBU CITY — Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma on Tuesday expressed dismay over the House of Representatives’ approval of the bill legalizing absolute divorce and dissolution of marriage in the country.

Palma, who heads one of the biggest archdioceses in the Philippines, said he, however, is still hoping that the bill would never be approved in the Senate.

“I hope and pray that the lawmakers in the Senate would be granted the wisdom and discernment to vote against the passage of this bill,” he said.

Palma said he is sure that some of the senators would not allow the bill, which would destroy the sanctity of marriage, to be their legacy to future generations.

He said he hopes the senators would vote based on their conscience and not because of political affiliations and alliances.

“I believe that our senators are more independently minded compared to our representatives in the Lower House,” Palma said.

Some members of the Upper Chamber had already expressed opposition to the divorce bill, even before it was passed in Congress.

President Rodrigo R. Duterte also expressed his opposition to the bill, saying this would greatly affect the children of separated parents.

The Lower House on Monday approved on third and final reading House Bill No. 7303, “An Act Instituting Absolute Divorce and Dissolution of Marriage in the Philippines”, with 134 voting for, 57 voting against, and two abstaining. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...