Cebu mayors asked to come up with list of Dengvaxia recipients

CEBU CITY — Compelled to come up with a masterlist of children vaccinated with Dengvaxia, the Cebu Provincial Health Office (PHO) on Friday urged all mayors in the province to submit the names in their respective cities and municipalities the soonest time possible.

Dr. Rene Catan, PHO officer in charge, said in order for them to have a wide-ranging and more cohesive approach in addressing the problem, they needed to have a list of the children’s names for their database.

Catan said aside from the names, the list from the mayors should also include the addresses, contact numbers, dates of vaccination, and whether a certain child has a history of dengue infection.

All these information will be placed in a database which will be made available to all private and government hospitals for reference whenever a child patient is suspected of being infected with the dengue virus.

Catan also appealed to parents to voluntarily go to their respective Rural Health Centers and submit the names of their children.

“I’d like the parents to understand that they need to go to their rural health units and submit the needed information about their children, especially those who have been vaccinated or have been infected by dengue before,” Catan said.

“If a particular child has been infected before and already had his or her anti-dengue vaccination, there’s a big chance that child is already protected. But if a mother could not remember whether her child has been infected before, then they need to keep an eye on that child,” Catan added.

A child previously infected with dengue and underwent vaccination has a 96-98 percent chance he or she would not be infected with severe dengue.

There are different levels of treatment and there are cases that provincial or district hospitals can manage, Catan said.

“If they will be hospitalized in a provincial hospital, it will be for free. They are not going to pay anything because they will be covered by PhilHealth, or by any government aide such as the MAP (Medical Assistance Program). We also have support programs for indigents,” Catan said.

“But those assistance are only for the towns and municipalities. I cannot speak yet for cities such as Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu,” said Catan further. (Levirose Caballero/PNA)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...