Central Visayas cops undergo drug test

DRUG TEST. Newly-installed OIC Police Regional Office – Central Visayas (PRO-7) Director Chief Supt. Debold Sinas talks to reporters during the surprise drug test of PRO-7 personnel on Monday. (Photo by Bebie Jane Casipong/PNA)

CEBU CITY — Key officials and personnel of the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7) underwent a surprise drug test on Monday in compliance with the directive of the newly-installed PRO-7 Office In Charge Director Chief Supt. Debold Sinas.

Sinas, who also submitted himself to drug testing, said the medical examination is part of the Philippine National Police’s (PNP) internal cleansing program which is one of the main thrusts of Philippine National Police chief Oscar Albayalde.

Sinas said surprise drug tests will also be conducted in all units under the PRO-7, which they are going to visit.

“We will announce the results of the drug test soon… then expect for succeeding drug tests in units that we will visit. This random drug tests are for all personnel and officials of headquarters under the PRO-7,” Sinas said.

He also said that any personnel found positive of drug use will be dismissed from the service.

“If you are positive in the initial and then in the confirmatory (tests), you are automatic for dismissal. Once positive in the initial test, your service firearm will be temporarily recalled as well as be relieved from your post and will be transferred to the holding unit while waiting for the result of the confirmatory test,” Sinas said.

Last week, Sinas relieved a medico-legal officer from the region’s crime laboratory after testing positive.

Sinas also urged the public to help in monitoring police officers and report to the headquarters if they are not doing their job while on duty.

“If you see policemen sleeping while on duty or not doing their job, take a photo of them and then send it to us. We will investigate it. It’s better to have a picture for evidence” he said.

Sinas also warned all police personnel to be careful under his administration in the PRO-7 as he will spare no one if found guilty of dereliction of duty.

“You must hide because if you will be caught, you will be dismissed. I do not usually relieve (rogue) officers. I dismissed them,” the police official said. (Luel Galarpe with Bebie Jane Casipong/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...