Chinese ships spotted near ‘Balikatan’ drills; no disruption reported

Photo courtesy: Armed Forces of the Philippines/FB

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

On Sunday, April 27, the Philippine Navy confirmed the presence of Chinese warships near joint Philippine-United States naval exercises that were conducted off the coast of Zambales but emphasized that training operations proceeded without disruption.

The Navy reported that three vessels from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLA-N) were detected on Saturday, April 26, approximately 60 nautical miles west of Palauig, Zambales.

These included a Jiangkai II-class frigate (bow number 579), an unidentified vessel (bow number 500), and a Dongdiao II-class auxiliary surveillance ship (bow number 797).

The sightings occurred during a division tactics drill conducted by the BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PS16) and BRP Apolinario Mabini (PS36) in coordination with United States (U.S.) naval forces as part of the broader Balikatan exercise. 

“Despite the presence of these PLA-N vessels, the training activities proceeded without disruption,” the Navy said.

“The activities of the Chinese naval vessels have been addressed in accordance with international law and protocols, and Philippine Navy ships remain focused on their training objectives alongside our allies,” it added.

The Navy assured that its assets remain vigilant, with the BRP Ramon Alcaraz continuously monitoring the Chinese ships and providing updates to command authorities and the Balikatan Exercise Directorate.

Balikatan is the largest annual joint military exercise between the Philippines and the U.S. Its 2025 iteration includes expanded maritime drills aimed at boosting interoperability amid regional tensions, particularly in the West Philippine Sea.

China has previously objected to Balikatan and similar joint activities, often deploying surveillance ships in proximity to monitor the drills.

The Navy reaffirmed its commitment to conducting the exercises safely and effectively.

“The Philippine Navy remains steadfast in its objective of continuously enhancing its capabilities to better perform its mandate as a modern naval force capable of securing the state and contributing to regional peace,” it said. (with report from Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...