CHR to conduct probe on charred bodies found in Tuburan

By John Rey Saavedra/Philippine News Agency

CEBU CITY — The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) in Central Visayas on Thursday said they will conduct a parallel investigation on the alleged “salvaging” of two men, whose charred bodies were found on a vacant lot in Putat village, Tuburan town.

Lawyer Arvin Udron, regional director of CHR-7, said the incident could be a case of extrajudicial killing that needs to be investigated.

The charred remains of the two men were discovered by residents of Sitio Matugawi of Putat village.

Lt. Col. Ismael Gauna, chief of the Tuburan police, said a concerned citizen informed his personnel through a phone call at past 6 a.m on Tuesday that they discovered the corpses in Sitio Matugawi.

Investigators discovered the bodies had been burned and could not be identified.

Tuburan Mayor Aljun Diamante told the Philippine News Agency (PNA), in an interview that the two victims could have been killed and burned somewhere.

“The police thinks that the victims came from another place and were just brought and dumped in the area,” Diamante said.

Udron explained that if the Tuburan Police Station uncovers the circumstances of the killing incident, CHR-7 will not bother to conduct an investigation anymore as it is the job of the local police to solve the crime.

The CHR-7 will only dig deeper on the circumstances of the killing, if it involves “state actor” or “state agents,” referring to members of the police or military force.

If human rights investigators will fail to identify the perpetrators of the crime, CHR-7 will give financial assistance to the families of the victims, Udron said.

Lt. Col. Carlos Lacuesta, Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) deputy chief for administration, said two families surfaced to claim the charred bodies.

The families positively identified the two bodies as that of Nicko Baricar, of Barangay Mambaling, and John Paul Galon of Barangay Kalunasan, both of this city.

The police, however, said the families could not yet bring the two victims to their houses even though they positively identified the completely disfigured bodies.

The police suggested a DNA test on the bodies before they can be turned over to the claimants.

Reports said Baricar and Galon were friends, who went missing for a week, before their charred remains were found in Tuburan. Tuburan is 88 kilometers north of this city.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...