City exec confirms ‘waste discharge’ from ethanol plant to bay

DUMAGUETE CITY – The local government unit (LGU) of Bais City, Negros Oriental is investigating the supposed “intentional” waste discharge from United Robina Corp.’s (URC) ethanol plant this past weekend.

Bais City legal officer, Lloyd Joseph Elmaco, on Tuesday disclosed that URC legal counsel Laurinda R. Rogera, together with Arnel J. Palma, operations manager, paid a courtesy call on Mayor Mercy Goñi “to update (her) on the release of waste from the plant”.

He further disclosed that according to Rogera, the incident last March 4 “was intentionally done”.

“An investigation is being conducted to know the identity/identities of the person/persons responsible,” for the supposed waste discharge into the Bais Bay, Elmaco told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) in a text message.

According to the lawyer, the URC officials explained and assured that they were able to contain the waste immediately, hence, no fish kill in the Bais Bay has so far been reported.

Elmaco assured that the Bais City LGU, through the initiative of the City Legal Office, has already “ordered a close monitoring of the waters surrounding the (ethanol) plant to determine the extent of the damage the incident (has) caused”.

A team from the city’s Environment and Natural Resources Office has already taken water samples from the Bais Bay for laboratory testing, he said.

On Wednesday, personnel from the Environmental Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in the province would also proceed to Bais City to conduct water sampling, Elmaco said. (Mary Judaline Partlow/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...