Coast Guard begins motorboat numbering system

DUMAGUETE CITY – The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) in Dumaguete City, capital of Negros Oriental, has begun implementing the numbering system of motorboats in its area of coverage to include Siquijor province.

Lt. Junior Grade Donna Liza Ramacho, Coast Guard-Dumaguete Station Commander, disclosed Wednesday that so far, her office had already registered under the numbering system a total of 13 motorboats in Amlan, 11 in Guihulngan, six in Bayawan City, six in Dauin, three in Zamboanguita, and five in nearby Siquijor island.

The safety, security and environmental numbering system for all sea craft is in line with the Department of Transportation’s Memorandum Circular No. ‎2017001, Ramacho said.

The numbering system would not only help the Coast Guard and other authorities to identify the motorboats as legitimate but would also provide the owners/fishermen protection for being officially registered with the government, she explained.

Ramacho clarified that this is a free service where the Coast Guard would be painting the code and assigned number on the starboard and port sides of each motorboat.

The prefix “NegOr” (for Negros Oriental) will be painted on the sides of the vessels followed by its assigned number.

However, this covers only those that are registered with the municipal or local government units.

Ramacho enjoined the fisher folk with motorboats having a gross tonnage of three tons or below to register first and for those that are already registered, to sign up for the numbering system.

The Coast Guard commander said her office had already lined up visits to the different areas for this although fishermen’s associations had helped make things easier by submitting a list of their members to her office instead. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...