Comelec: COC filing period ‘generally peaceful’ for 3 days straight

MORE ASPIRANTS. Senators Ronald Dela Rosa (from left) and Christopher Lawrence Go as well as actor Phillip Salvador file their certificates of candidacy (COCs) before the Commission on Elections at the Manila Hotel Tent City on Thursday (Oct. 3, 2024). Dela Rosa and Go are reelectionists. (Photo courtesy of Avito Dalan/PNA)

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

The filing of certificates of candidacy (COCs) for the 2025 national and local elections has been “generally peaceful” for three straight days, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) reported Thursday.

“Base sa report ng ating operation center, walang kahit anong insidente ng karahasan, violence, irregularity, or disturbance sa lahat ng sites natin ng filing,” Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said.

“Therefore, patuloy po itong generally peaceful,” he added.

Nine party-list organizations submitted their Certificates of Nomination – Certificate of Acceptance of Nomination (CON-CANs), while a total of 12 senatorial aspirants formalized their bid on Oct. 3.

Three Partido Demokratiko Pilipino candidates—actor Phillip Salvador and re-electionists Senators Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go and Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa—filed their COCs.

Also filing their candidacy papers for senator were Dr. Willie Ong of Aksyon Demokratiko, Jaime Balmas and Elpidio Rosales of the Kilusang Bagong Lipunan, as well as independent aspirants Jose Bunilla, Robert Agad, Khaled Casimra, Jimmy Salapantan, Rex Noel, and Roel Pacquiao.

The party-lists, on the other hand, were composed of 1-AGILA, SWERTE, FPJ PANDAY BAYANIHAN, BHW, SOLID NORTH, HEALTH WORKERS, ANGAT, AHON MAHIRAP, and KAMALAYAN.

These latest filers bring the total party-list groups seeking seats in the House of Representatives to 35 and the senatorial bets to 39.

Garcia said the final list of COCs filed throughout the eight-day filing period would be out by the third week of October to allow the public to see and verify for themselves the personal details of local officials running for office in their areas.

“(This is the) first time kasi dati, kapag nag-file ng candidacy, hindi alam ng botante sino sila kasi hindi naman natin binibigay ang COC kahit kanino,” he said.

Meanwhile, he assured the public that the Comelec will not disqualify an aspirant merely for reasons of poverty.

“Hindi tayo magdi-disqualify o magka-cancel ng candidacy ng isang nuisance candidate dahil lang sa kahirapan, dahil lang sa wala siyang pera—hinding hindi gagawin ng Komisyon ’yan,” he said.

Political hopefuls in the May 2025 polls have until Oct. 8 to file their COC and CON-CANs.

Orderly COC filing in C. Luzon

The Police Regional Office (PRO) 3 (Central Luzon) said Thursday it is fully committed to safeguarding the electoral process.

In a statement, PRO-3 chief PBGen. Redrico Maranan said they have implemented extensive security preparations for the ongoing filing of COCs across the region.

While there has been no untoward incident so far, Maranan said PRO-3 would continue its strategic deployment of personnel to Comelec offices until Oct. 9, the day after the last COC filing on Oct. 8.

He added that they would maintain 24/7 checkpoints and conduct intensified operations to confiscate loose firearms.

He noted that a heightened alert status in the region has also been declared to enhance police visibility and ensure rapid response capabilities.

Maranan said the PNP is working closely with the military and the poll body through joint conferences to guarantee the smooth and secure conduct of the COC filing process.

“Our coordinated security measures have ensured a smooth and peaceful filing process so far. We remain vigilant and ready to address any potential threats to protect the integrity of the electoral process and the safety of candidates and the public,” Maranan said. (With report from Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...