Comelec: Consent needed to take down election campaign materials

By Pearl Gumapos

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday (Feb. 21) clarified that consent is needed to take down ordinary campaign materials.

“Agree naman po ako na hindi puwedeng basta-bastang magbaklas. Kaya nga po ang polisiya ng Comelec at ang ginagawa ng ating officers ay nagpapaalam muna. Humihingi muna sila ng pahintulot doon sa property owner para magbaklas,” Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said during the Laging Handa public briefing.

Jimenez also said that pursuant to Supreme Court cases and their interpretation of the law, Comelec may regulate ordinary campaign materials.

“As of now, base doon sa aming interpretation doon sa batas at ng SC jurisprudence, puwede natin i-regulate pag dating sa private property iyong sukat lamang hindi iyong paglalagay or iyong dami ng ilalagay,” he said.

“Although naiintindihan natin na maraming nagrereklamo, ang Comelec ay bukas naman ang pintuan namin sa mga ganyang klaseng opinyon at willing naman kaming pag-aralan ulit iyong polisiya na ito,” he added.

Jimenez then said that, so far, no one has filed a formal request or complaint regarding in-person campaigning.

“So far, wala namang naghahain ng formal request sa amin or formal complaint so tuloy-tuloy lang po ang pag implement natin [ng Resolution No. 10732].”

Watch the full interview here:

Popular

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...