Comelec eyes police as poll officials in Maguindanao

COTABATO CITY — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) in Maguindanao is considering police personnel to serve as electoral board in the forthcoming Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections if the situation warrants.

Lawyer Udtog Tago, provincial election supervisor, said priority is given to teachers to compose the board of election inspectors, to administer and supervise the twin May 14 polls.

But Tago said, some police officers in the province have undergone training on administration of local elections and they may be tapped should teachers, for one reason or another, could not serve.

One of the reasons why teachers are disqualified from serving in the elections is they are related by blood or by affinity to any of the local candidates.

“Some for health reasons and other valid excuses, they may skip serving the elections,” he said.

According to Tago, so far the composition of electoral board is still being assessed and evaluated.

After the filing of candidacy on April 21, the poll body provincial office would have ample knowledge whether the composition of electoral board has conflict of interest due to relationship with the aspirants.

Tago foresees peaceful and orderly elections in Maguindanao due to the presence of police and military personnel as well as the ongoing campaign of the government against loose firearms.

Maguindanao has 508 barangays with 833,176 registered voters who are expected to troop to various voting precincts on May 14. (PNA)

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...