Comelec: Preps for May 2020 village polls to continue

By Ferdinand Patinio/Philippine News Agency

MANILA – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Tuesday said it will continue with their preparations for the May 2020 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE).

Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez noted that unless a law is passed ordering the postponement of the 2020 BSKE, they are duty-bound to prepare for the scheduled polls.

At the same time, he noted that the statement of President Rodrigo Duterte, asking Congress to move the village and youth polls from 2020 to 2022, was expected.

“The President’s statement with regard to the BSKE was expected,” the poll body official said in a statement.

“However, until such time as a postponement law is actually passed by Congress and signed by the President into law, the Comelec is duty-bound to move forward with its preparations,” Jimenez added.

In his fourth State of the Nation Address on Monday, Duterte urged Congress to pass a law moving the May 2020 BSKE to 2022.

Also, the Comelec spokesperson pointed out since the law has scheduled the elections to May 11, 2020, it can only be amended by creating another law.

“Because the schedule of the #BSKE is contained in a statute, it can be amended by legislation,” he said in his Twitter account, @jabjimenez.

“This is a question addressed to the discretion of Congress; it’s not something the Comelec controls,” Jimenez added.

The poll body is set to start the two-month voter registration nationwide next month in connection with the 2020 village and youth elections.

It will begin on August 1 until September 30, 2019.

 

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...