Comelec-Soccsksargen all set for filing of COCs

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) 12 (Soccsksargen) is all set for the start of the week-long filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) on Thursday for aspirants in the 2019 local and national midterm elections.

Lawyer Michael Abas, Comelec-12 director, said Wednesday they have completed their preparations, especially the setting of necessary mechanisms, to ensure the smooth and orderly filing of COCs throughout the region.
Comelec-12 has jurisdiction over the provinces of South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and North Cotabato, and the cities of General Santos, Koronadal, Tacurong, and Kidapawan.

Although administratively a part of Region 12, Cotabato City, is under the Comelec in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

“Our field monitoring is ongoing and so far, our election offices and personnel are all ready to accept and process the COCs,” Abas in a radio interview.

He said they expect candidates to start coming to local election offices on Thursday but the number of filings of COCs in the area is historically low during the first day.

He said most candidates usually wait for the final day, which will be on Oct. 17, or other convenient dates based on “superstitious beliefs.”

The official reminded candidates that election offices will not accept COCs this weekend or on Oct. 13-14 to allow their personnel to attend to pending administrative concerns.

Aspirants may only file their COC during regular office or “business hours” from 8 a.m. to 12 noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Candidates nominated by accredited or recognized political parties should also submit copies of their certificates of acceptance and nomination, Abas said.

“Our duty as election officers is only ministerial and limited to the receiving or acceptance of the COCs. But we can also refuse to accept incomplete forms, especially those lacking the required documents,” he said.

Comelec has created committees in all election offices in the region that will filter or review the submitted COCs.

Based on the resolution earlier issued by the Comelec central office, Abas said they don’t expect any extension of the filing period for the COCs.

“That will allow us to immediately start processing the list of candidates for the entire region,” he added. (PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...