Construction of OFW hospital starts

DOLE PR

The construction of the first hospital for overseas Filipino workers starts very soon following the signing of a memorandum of agreement between the Department of Labor and Employment and government and private donors.

Its completion is expected on May 2021.

In a ceremony held last week at the Kingsborough Convention Center in San Fernando, Pampanga, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello led officials in sealing the agreement signaling the commencement of construction on a two-hectare lot in Barangay Sindalan, in San Fernando City.

Signing the deal were Pampanga Governor Dennis Pineda, Department of Health (DoH) Undersecretary Dr. Lilibeth David, Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac, Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) Chairperson Andrea Domingo and Atty. Ellan Mark Pailan of Bloomberry Cultural Foundation.

In his remarks, Bello lauded the signatories’ commitment to build the first and only hospital in the Philippines that will provide free medical services to the country’s modern day heroes.

“This hospital is going to be built to recognize the heroism of our OFWs who continue to power economic growth in the country,” Bello said. “It’s a fitting tribute to Filipino workers who, through their valuable remittances, have kept the economy afloat during many challenging times,” he added.

Once completed, the hospital will render free services when OFWs are securing medical certificates covering laboratory exams and other requirements for their overseas deployment.

Under the agreement, Pagcor will donate P200 million for the acquisition and installation of equipment and facilities for the hospital while Bloomberry Cultural Foundation will shoulder the cost of construction amounting to P400 million. The local government of Pampanga has donated a two-hectare property.

“We expect completion in 2021,” Bello said.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...